Saturday, May 3, 2014

In memory of Bishop Dr. Soane Lilo Foliaki 1933-2013

A Catholic nun, who is not longer with us, sister Aganete made an appointment for me to see Bishop Dr. Soane (John) Lilo Foliaki in Nukualofa in 1998, he was 64 years old. This photo, reminds me of him sitting in his office when I visited him the first time. I stayed in Tonga 5 months, and I met Bishop Foliaki occasionally, he also served the mass at the church. I remember the ordination of the priest on one occasion at the church in Maofanga.
Bishop of Tonga Dr.Soane Lilo Foliaki

Bishop Foliaki said talitali fiefia (welcome), and made every effort to see me safe in Tonga, and made possible for me to live with nuns at  the convent, and more. I assisted sister Sussane teaching  students art and decorating tapa clothes at Maofanga Convent School. I also created some artwork for the Maofanga Convent which we exhibited at the queen Salote Memorial Hall.
I painted the life size statue of St. Anthony of Padua at the Nukualofa Catedral, and tought sudents at Maofanga School how to do it. I also restored and painted a few other medium and small statue of Holy Mary.
Bishop Foliaki passed away on the 24th of December 2013. I would like to say one more time Mālō ‘aupito (thank you) to bishop John Foliaki for all he has done for me. Rest in piece.
Mary O'Neill

No comments:

Post a Comment